Hello, welcome and Salam,Thanks for taking time out and stopping by at my blog. Today’s post is about the insight we as marketers are overlooking when we target Muslims. I have posted earlier on the same topic; you can find that post here
I will try to summarize below my conclusion about what insights are missing when we target Muslims.
- Imagery Driven: I am not sure when marketers will realize Islam is beyond crescent, veils and prayer mats. (may be the end of the Mayan Calendar will be the beginning of that realization – pun intended)
- Muslims are undoubtedly a big and juicy market USD 2 trillion, but there are not enough specialized advertising agencies, other than Ogilvy Noor, for this market segment when compared to other Niche segments like Hispanic Market.
- Young: On an average, Muslims of the world are 27 years old. Your typical YPE, generation Y & generation x. Imagine their lives, facebook, multiculturalism, strong faith and tons of media bombardment trying to tell them that they are backward or fundamentalists. They clearly seek clarity what is stopping brands to offer them that?
- Indonesia & Malaysia have done some interesting advancements in Islamic Branding front like introducing a Fashion brand etc. I crave to see more of that coming from rest of the world.
- Muslims are travelling: I have a privilege to live in UAE (most of you know it as Dubai), everyone here travels at least once a year. And when we do, trust me it is hassle to find comfort from small to large things e.g. availability of water in washrooms, halal food, Ramadan timing breakfast etc. The market spent of Muslim Travellers is around USD 126 billion, tourism industry must try to capture it.
- Less Judgmental: Aren’t we a bit too quick in drawing our conclusions when it comes to religious minority or majority? Here is an interesting article about that
Have a look at the presentation and slides, hope you will find them interesting.
Enjoy the remaining days of 2012, see you in 2013
If you liked this presentation, then check out this blog entry about Muslim Tourism Market, Ramadan Branding and some useful statistics into Emirati & Muslim Consumer. And if you didnt like this presentation, then tell me why