TGI 2011 product book aims at providing percentage penetration of multiple product categories in different countries.
What I have done in the following table is that I have compared penetration of food products in UAE with countries that have scored high in that category.
|Product Category||% Usage UAE||Country with highest Consumption||% Usage|
|Baby or Junior Food||14%||Croatia & Slovenia||36%|
|Oils for Cooking and Salad (Main Shoppers)||94%||Almost all countries have above 90% except South Korea||50%|
|Potato Crisps and Potato Snacks||83%||Kuwait||87%|
|Fizzy Soft / Energy Drinks (excluding Colas)||85%||Denmark||89%|
|Ready-to-Drink Fruit and Vegetable Juices||91%||Denmark||93%|
|Tea (Loose and Bags, including Fruit and Herbal Tea)||93%||Indonesia & Poland||98%|
Now this data set poses following questions
- Is UAE market of Colas smaller than the market of Fizzy drink/energy drinks?
- Cola market is smaller than ready to drink fruit and vegetable juices? If yes, then Almarai, Al Ain juices and other such brands have done a good job
- Obesity in UAE is rising, maybe because of 83% penetration of potato crisps?
- Why Chewing Gum penetration is only 63%?
- If South Koreans are not using oil for cooking than what are they using, because that might lead to low level of obesity?
- Is there a room for expansion in Mayonnaise or soup market in UAE, considering the eating habits of majority?
The sampling details for TGI-UAE market are as follow
- UAE 15+
- 8 urban cities
- Sample Size 5,000
- Jul 2009 – Dec 2009
If you have more questions and want to contact TGI group directly, you can drop them an email at firstname.lastname@example.org